Lindsey Smith is Michigan Radio’s Investigative Reporter. She previously served as Michigan Radio’s West Michigan Reporter.
Lindsey helped cover the Larry Nassar sexual abuse case and led the station’s award-winning Flint water crisis coverage. Her 2015 documentary about the Flint water crisis, Not Safe to Drink, won a national Edward R. Murrow Award, an Alfred I. duPont – Columbia University Award, and a Third Coast/Richard H. Driehaus Award. The Detroit chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists named her “Young Journalist of the Year” in 2014.
She’s a graduate of Eastern Michigan University and Specs Howard School of Media Arts.
Contributions from Lindsey Smith
- Conditions at cemetery in Flint suburb a “total atrocity” to surviving family members
Easter Smith stops by Lovedale Memorial Cemetery at least twice a month. She lays flowers on Mother’s Day; at Christmas she wraps and leaves small boxes to look like presents. “This is my brother,” Sm …
- Eastern Michigan opens new athletic facility, still looking for $6 million to pay for it
This week Eastern Michigan University opened a brand new training facility for its 436 student athletes.
- One small sampling change this summer could reveal many more lead in water warnings
Michigan cities and towns with lead water pipes will have to start taking more and better drinking water samples this summer. About 650 municipal water systems are testing for lead in water beginning …
- Company buying Palisades nuclear plant hopes to profit by decommissioning faster, more efficiently
The Palisades nuclear power plant will shut down by the spring of 2022. The company that owns Palisades plans to sell it. Located on the shore of Lake Michigan near South Haven, Palisades is the oldes …
- Lead levels in three Michigan municipal water systems back in line with federal standards
After the Flint water crisis, the state’s environment department closed a bunch of loopholes in the sampling for lead in drinking water. That means cities are taking better samples, more frequently, a …