Dustin Dwyer reports enterprise and long-form stories from Michigan Radio’s West Michigan bureau. He was a fellow in the class of 2018 at the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard. He’s been with Michigan Radio since 2004, when he started as an intern in the newsroom. He left the station in 2010-2011 to be a stay at home dad, and returned to be part of the Changing Gears project, a collaboration between Michigan Radio, Ideastream in Cleveland and WBEZ in Chicago. From 2012 – 2017, he was part of the team for State of Opportunity, and produced several radio documentaries on kids and families in Michigan. He lives in Grand Rapids with his wife and three kids.
Contributions from Dustin Dwyer
- Scientist says he was "on the edge of the abyss" when he realized the risks of PFAS in Michigan
A scientist at the state Department of Environmental Quality says he felt like he was “at the edge of the abyss” when he first realized the possible effects of widespread PFAS contamination in Michiga …
- Their remains were found in a Detroit funeral home. Today, they were finally laid to rest.
Their souls left long ago. Their bodies stayed here. Their families put their faith in a funeral home on Detroit’s east side. But then, earlier this year, their remains were discovered, still in the f …
- Selling a haunted house? Better disclose those ghosts
Everyone wants a haunted house on Halloween, but the rest of the year, not so much. How do you sell a house that’s haunted anyway? Are you legally liable for any lurking ghouls?
- Benton Harbor finds elevated lead levels in water at eight homes across the city
Benton Harbor is offering to test the water at any home in the city, after initial tests showed elevated levels of lead in eight homes.
- They were forced off their land. Their homes burned. 118 years later, their descendants fight on.
This is the final part of our series An Idea on the Land. Here's where you can find Part 1 , Part 2 and Part 3. On a chilly morning, 118 autumns ago, the residents of a tiny village along a lake …